BUT it was a trip worth it's weight in time even though there were many moments when I wondered what I was learning there... more on that in a bit. As to be expected, there were a lot of sequins, fur, stripes, polka dots, headdresses, and bright lips. I mean. It was off the hook. I wish I would have taken pictures of everyone I saw that was donning one of these b/c this could have been a funny post. Oh on the note of pictures, not all of these are all that stellar, I only took my iPhone and the lighting was bad in a few.
(with Courtney before an especially bad speech)
About that especially bad speech. I mean, some of the panels and speakers left a lot to be desired. It's funny to look through my notes and see crickets next to names where useful notes should have been jotted down. At times I felt as though I was listening to a few women just talk about all the cool and great things they've done, blah blah blah blah. I mean, I can go to your press and collab section to see that. I'm cool with hearing about it as long as you bring it back around to how you did it and some legit tips for others. That's why you were asked to speak. I know, there's some rule out there that says you shouldn't share all your tips and secrets. And I believe it. But hell, share some! This was a golden opportunity to make a great impression on your fellow blogging community. Perhaps Alt needs to make it worth the while for speakers to divulge advice and content... Or maybe I have it all wrong? Nah, that couldn't be. ;)
BUT there were also some really kick ass speakers (hey hey Jenny!) who knocked my socks off and left me educated, inspired, and girl crushing. (She really is the best and sweetest girl and deserves every bit of success she's earned.)
1. First one goes out to my cheese dip and lobby bar girls Bailey (Peppermint Bliss), Jamie (I Suwannee), and Molly & Sally (A Piece of Toast) - it was the best way to begin (or end) each night.
2. Hey Stefan Sagmeister - your keynote speech was off the chain awesome. I can't wait to see your new movie in full.
3. The last two years I've known that I adore my Alt roomie Gaby (The Vault Files), but after this trip I can say that I love love her. We stayed up super late every night crying laughter. Thanks for that Gaby.
4. A few other extra special friends that haven't been mentioned yet, Lauren, Meg, and Trina. You girls are home girls for sure.
(Bailey, Sally, Jamie, Me, Gaby, Molly)
5. Gotta give shouts to Gabrielle and Sara for organizing this well oiled machine. Bravo.
Some tips for other bloggers: (if you no bloggy then just skippy)
- Show your personality. If someone doesn't like you then so be it. You're the only you.
- Know your audience.
- Have a media kit. (I've been meaning to do this for awhile but am waiting for my re-design).
- Use an editorial calendar so that your blog doesn't look like the last blog post you just read.
- Don't be sneaky - if you got something for free be upfront about it. It's obvious.
** Thinking about going to Alt in NYC this summer? I say go for it. If you're a new blogger you'll learn tons. If you're more seasoned then you'll learn a few new things, but more importantly will network and have a damn good time :)