Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

July 1, 2013

Granny's Apple Pie



I have your 4th of July dessert right here, y'all. It's my Granny's apple pie recipe and it just doesn't get any more American than that. It's so easy to toss together that it's a no brainer. I pulled it from the oven and invited a couple of girlfriends over to help me dig in. I recommend you do the same.


Wearing:
Steven Alan stripe dress (I found one size 8 left on sale available here, as well)


This American flag afghan was crocheted years ago by my great grandmother. A family heirloom that I'm so honored to have in my possession. Isn't it beautiful?


Granny's Apple Pie


6 apples
2 pie crusts 
1 cup of sugar
cinnamon to taste
butter

Peel and slice apples (granny shreds hers).
Add sugar and cinnamon (to taste). Could add nutmeg, too.
Press bottom pie crust into your pie pan.
Pour apple mixture into pie crust.
Put dabs of butter on top (I used about 3/4 a stick).
Cut remaining pie crust into strips, lay them over pie starting in middle & alternating.
Trim excess pie dough from the outer edges.
Bake at 350 for about 1 hour.

*Granny's note: Have everything ready before you peel your apples. They will turn black (won't hurt them but won't be as pretty).

Photography by Gray Benko.





13 comments:

Natalie {Designer Bags and Dirty Diapers} said...

Love the crocheted blanket and granny's recipes are always the best. Just wish I liked apple pie because yours looks pretty tasty!

Julia Ryan said...

OH MAN that sounds good. I seriously wish we could have butter in our house. This might be a recipe I have to sneak it after bedtime. I doubt there will be any evidence left by the time the allergy kids wake up :)

caycee said...

That apple pie looks delish!! How special that your great grandmother made that ;)Ya'll look just beautiful all sitting on it!

Unknown said...

Adorable photos and YUM.

Unknown said...

Looks so delicious! Definitely want to try, thanks for the recipe!

XO, Stefanie
Life on the Squares

Unknown said...

Love your flag et. Very cute.

Nuha said...

okay you are seriously the cutest!

Unknown said...

Love apple pie in the summer, so all American!!!

Ashley said...

Apple pie and hand-made afghan throws - nothing is more Indiana to me than this! My grandma has a killer apple pie recipe too, but I can never do it justice - hers is always so much better...

Val said...

Pie Perfection!

Beautifully Seaside // Formerly Chic Coastal Living said...

Soooo cute!!!!! XO and yum!

Unknown said...

Looks yummy!! and your outfit is really cute too!!

Brittany F. said...

I made your Granny's pie for the fourth and it was delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe with us. I think I may have started a new all American tradition in our home.